While there were hundreds of blogs in the running, Travel Foodie Mom was one of 11 blogs nominated for “The Sunshine Blogger Award” by EazyNazy.
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers who are creative, positive, and inspiring. Once nominated, the blogger is required to write a post in which they:
- Thank the blogger who nominated them and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated them
- Nominate 11 other blogs and give them 11 new questions to answer.
- Notify your nominees and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post.
Here are our answers to EazyNazy’s questions:
- What’s your story behind your Blog name?
We (Sarah and Nikki) used to work together and we became friends because we had so much in common – each having a little boy, the desire to travel, and an appetite for gourmet food, to name a few. One day, we had an idea to start to blog to emphasize our love for travel, food, and parenting, which is where Travel Foodie Mom got its name!
- What is the most delicious food you have ever eaten?
Nikki: This is a tough one because I could sway toward a variety of types of foods, however nothing beats biting into a big, juicy burger from Hodad’s in San Diego. The environment really brings it all together, and the wait is well worth it!
Sarah: The most amazing meal I’ve ever had was in this little hole in the wall breakfast joint in Tacoma, WA. Upon entering the establishment you knew it was going to be a good meal. Five tables, vintage chairs, and the fresh smell of privately roasted coffee in the air. The menu was whatever the chef wanted to create that day. There was an interesting dish, “Cranberry rosemary chicken crepe.” A sweet and savory piece with roasted potatoes and a mind bending cranberry compote.
- Any sayings or quote that you live by?
Nikki: “Risk more than others think is safe, care more than others think is wise, dream more than others think is practical, expect more than others think is possible.” It is my favorite quote and I actually have it tattooed on my shoulder.
Sarah: “Life is better when you can embrace it.” Everything I do in work and life is geared towards upholding this sentiment.
- Online shopping or In store shopping ?
Nikki: I can control myself more with online shopping (I live for coupon codes), so I will be with online. Yet, I do like going out and about, looking at things in store.
Sarah: Both. There are some shops I absolutely have to go into, like Lunch Box, Evereve (amazing mom clothing store), and the Disneystore. For online shopping I resort to subscription boxes. I like to be surprised.
- What is the one thing(not person) you can’t live without
Nikki: 100% my planner. Although my laptop and phone are up there too, my planner is my life. It keeps me on track, whether it’s bills, deadlines, events, or vacations.
Sarah: Same as Nikki, my planner. I am the sort of person who has to write down, place in my iPhone calendar, Google calendar, etc.
- What is your one favourite beauty essential?
Nikki: I don’t usually wear a lot of makeup, but I am a face mask addict. There isn’t a specific brand or type that I like more than another, but love the feeling of a clean, refreshed face.
Sarah: I love my Fresh Soy Rose Petal face wash. Gentle on the skin, smells lovely, and is by far the most helpful in controlling mom acne.
- If you had a chance to buy whatever you wanted for free from one high end store, which store would it be?
Nikki: Does Best Buy count? I really want a Samsung Family Hub refrigerator. Total mom answer.
Sarah: Kate Spade. I would love to walk into the New York flagship store and purchase one of everything.
- What is your favourite Blog post you have written? (please provide the link)
Nikki: It would definitely be my post about Isla Mujeres. It was an amazing family trip and the first time my son traveled out of the country. Going over photos to include in the post brought back so many memories!
Sarah: I loved the memoir style article I wrote on Carrie Fischer when she passed away in December this past year. She represented more than just a fan favorite character. She destroyed the public perception of mental disorders and metal health issues, made her voice and power in Hollywood one to be reckoned with, and encouraged women to be stronger than anyone expected of them.
- What are your goals for 2017?
Nikki: Personally, to travel as much as possible and move to San Diego by this fall. Professionally, grow our blog even more. Stay tuned!
Sarah: Nikki and I are looking to add new elements to the website and grow our affiliates through meaningful articles, videos, and local blogger meet-ups. My son was just placed in a special education program in our school district so my #1 goal is to support him as much as humanly possible.
- What do you love about Blogging?
Nikki: I love bringing in the personalization factor to a place I traveled to, food I tasted, or product I tried. I love to read about what others thought about these things, so like to help others in my writing and photos. Also, I love collaborating with Sarah for TFM. It has brought us and our kids closer and is good excuse to meet up for a bite to eat while discussing goals.
Sarah: Bringing food and travel to life through meaningful story telling and explanations. On a personal level being able to express myself when it comes to being a mom who loves to explore via food and travel, then to take that a step further and share it with others who may feel the same.
- Your Favourite Blogger/Bloggers , who inspires you (please provide the link )
Nikki: There are so many that I can’t pinpoint one. I often read and follow people who tweet with the #TMOM and #DisneyMoms hashtags, since they are great communities.
Sarah: Today’s blogging world isn’t known primarily for who writes for it, but by the brands themselves. Blog sites like ours, HelloGiggles, Babble, StarWars.com, and Wanderlust, have a general tone that they adhere to throughout every written article and video on their website. I’m brand person. Overall I’m all over the place and have my ear to the ground when it comes to who well written the article is and how effectively a story is told or an opinion is given based on factual information or first-hand experience.
Now, for our questions:
- When did you start blogging?
- How were you inspired to start a blog?
- What is the most valuable thing you’ve learned from blogging?
- What social media platforms can we find you on?
- What to you do to unwind and relax?
- If you were to press play on your playlist, what song would come on?
- Where is your favorite travel location?
- What is your favorite food?
- What quote do you live by?
- If you only had 24 hours left to live, what would you do?
- What is one interesting fact about you that most people may not know about?
Would you like to have a chance to be nominated? Leave a blog comment with your blog URL for consideration. The winners will be announced on Saturday, April 15th.